Frequently Asked Questions


What can I do when I am injured in a public place?

You may be able to make a public liability claim, if you were injured in the following circumstances or locations:

  • Injuries sustained in schools and in public playgrounds
  • Slip and falls injuries sustained at council owned parks, Private swimming pools and recreational facilities
  • Injuries at indoor sports venues or sporting grounds
  • Slip, trip and fall at supermarkets, shopping centres or retail outlets
  • Accidents and injuries at amusement parks or theme parks
  • Injuries and accidents at a rental property
  • Dog attacks or other domestic animal attacks
  • Allergic reactions, food poisoning, or severe burns from food or beverages
  • Physical or Sexual Assaults
  • When using a defective product e.g. furniture, toys, etc.
  • Accidents and falls using bike paths or footpaths
  • Injuries and accidents while engaging in recreational activities or sports injuries for example bike riding, walking tracks or where the oval, arena e.g. diving
  • Injuries caused by animals, for e.g. dog attacks or horse-riding accidents
  • Injuries sustained in slip, trip and fall in private buildings, for example; homes and             apartment blocks
  • Aviation and boating injuries

What is Medical Negligence?

If you have been injured under the care of your medical practitioner, you may be entitled to make a medical negligence claim.

Our lawyers negotiate with insurers to gather required evidence and to get you the best possible outcome in your medical negligence claim

You may be able to make a Medical negligence claim, if you were injured in the following circumstances:

  • Medical procedures resulting in surgical error such as failed breast surgery
  • Negligent prescription of medication
  • Medical Misdiagnosis
  • Delayed diagnosis
  • Delayed treatment causing injury or illness
  • Failure to warn and explain the risks involved in a medical procedure
  • Inadequate medical treatment causing illnesses such as Cerebral Palsy, Cauda Equina Syndrome, and Meningitis
  • Using unsafe or unhygienic medical practices causing injury or illness
  • Incorrect reporting or follow up of test results
  • Anaesthetic complications
  • Pregnancy and birth complications

What are the applicable time limits for a compensation claim?

You will need to commence court proceedings within 3 years from the time you became aware of the seriousness of the injury and the fact that this injury may have been caused by the negligence of the other party injury, after this time your rights may be extinguished, and you may not be able to make a claim. It is important that legal advice is sought as soon as possible.

What do I do if I suffered an injury as a result of someone's negligence?

You should seek medical attention immediately after suffering injury.

Report the incident in writing to the appropriate body (i.e. Police, Road Authorities, Supermarkets or Shopping Centres)

Medical and diagnostic reports including medical certificates obtained from your doctor are the evidences which could support your claim.

It will be helpful to keep records and receipts of medical expenses and details of when treatment was received; It would be helpful to keep a record of cost and expenses relevant to the injury

You may also need to maintain records of lost wages if the injury has caused you miss work.

It will be helpful to take photographs of the incident site, location or the product which caused the injuries and photographs of your injuries;

We recommend you contact our team to discuss your claim with a lawyer so that the matter can be properly prepared to enable you to receive your maximum compensation entitlements.

What can I do if I have been injured at work?

If you have been injured at work, it is usually possible to make a worker’s compensation claim.

It is important that you should notify your employer as soon as possible and request a worker’s compensation claim form. Your employer should assist you with obtaining the correct claim forms for you and your doctor to complete and attach your medical certificate. Be sure to keep copies of these documents for your own records, make sure that you return the originals to your employer, who will have to sign.

Seek medical attention right away, even if your injuries appear to be minor.

It would be helpful to keep all receipts for medical treatment;

Contact a lawyer for independent advice.

What do i in case of Motor Vehicle Accident?

It would be helpful to obtain and exchange the following details with the at-fault driver involved (licence number, contact details, car rego etc) as these details will be required in order to lodge a claim.

Obtain evidence-Take photographs of the accident scene cars involved, damages of the cars, , damages to your car, photo of the other party’s licence, injuries if any. These could be essential evidence to prove who was at fault in the accident.

It is also advisable to seek a professional medical assessment of your injuries as soon as possible.

Report the accident to the police

It is important and helpful to get in touch with the at-fault driver's CTP insurance provider to lodge a claim.



What can I claim?

While each claim is different, compensation payout amounts generally covers:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future loss of earnings
  • Pain and suffering, and reduced quality of life
  • Care and home help provided by friends, family or any other individual

Consulting your doctor is imperative both for your well-being as well as for making a claim for compensation

Can I manage my claim without a Solicitor?

Yes you can, but personal injury law is quite complicated and engaging a solicitor will result in less stress and more compensation with support during the process.

Why Chose our firm?

Our mission is to provide supportive, flexible and mobile legal support to our clients in their time of need. . We work collaboratively with other professionals, mediators and Lawyers to get to obtain best desired outcome for our clients.

Disclaimer: This guide constitutes a summary of general information of the subject matter covered. This information is of a general nature and should not in any way be construed as legal advice.

Make an Enquiry

© 2019 Ruth Johnson Lawyers & Associates

Website created by